Connecticut Non Owner SR22 Insurance Information

DUI laws and penalties, fines, license suspension, sr22 filing

"SR22 insurance" is a nickname given to an auto liability insurance policy that requires an insurance company to file a certificate of financial responsibility (SR22 form) with a state's DMV.

Many states require certain "trouble" drivers to file an SR22 form with the DMV, to prove that, in the event of a future accident, they will have liability insurance.

If a person is required to file an SR22 form, but does not own a vehicle, he or she will be required to purchase what is known as "non-owner SR22 insurance."

Connecticut and SR22 Insurance:

The State of Connecticut does not require an SR22 filing for any reason, so there is no reason to worry about non-owner SR22 insurance in Connecticut.

However, if you live in Connecticut and get into trouble (such as a DUI / DWI) in another state, that state may require you to file an SR22 there, and in that case, you would need to purchase SR22 insurance (and if you don’t own a vehicle, you would likely need to purchase a non-owner SR22 policy). In this situation, you should call the DMV in the state where the DUI took place.

For More Information:

For more information about insurance requirements in Connecticut, contact the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles at 860-263-5700 from within Hartford or outside of Connecticut or at 800-842-8222 from elsewhere in Connecticut. According to the DMV website, the best times to call are on Wednesdays and on Thursday mornings. You can also email the DMV at

Additional Connecticut DUI Resources