California SR22 Insurance Filing Information & Quotes

DUI laws and penalties, fines, license suspension, sr22 filing

If your California driver's license has been suspended or revoked for a DUI, you will need to provide proof of financial responsibility to the DMV in order to get your driver's license reinstated.

"Proof of financial responsibility" shows the DMV that you will be able to pay for damage done in the event of a future accident. Most people fulfill this obligation by buying SR22 insurance and filing an SR22 certificate (California Insurance Proof Certificate). Alternatively, you can make a $35,000 cash or bond deposit.

How to Get California SR22 Insurance

Your SR22 certificate must be issued by an insurance company authorized to do so in California. We have partnered with the best of these companies in order to offer you the best possible SR22 rates available. Your SR22 insurance requirement will last for three years, so it is imperative to find a rate you can live with. To get your personalized SR22 quote, enter your California zip code here:

How to Get Your California Driver's License Reinstated

If your California driver's license has been suspended or revoked for a DUI, you need to do the following things to get it reinstated:

  • Pay a $125 reinstatement fee.
  • Buy SR22 insurance and file an SR22 certificate.
  • Submit proof of completion of a certified DUI program.

California Ignition Interlock Laws

If you are convicted of a DUI, you may be ordered to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in your vehicle. This is more likely if your BAC was 0.15 or higher at the time of your DUI, or if you refused to submit to a chemical test.

If your DUI happened in one of the following four counties: Alameda, Los Angeles, Sacramento, or Tulare, you will be ordered to install an IID in each vehicle that you own. (If you do not own a vehicle, you can apply for an exemption.)

If this is your second or subsequent DUI, and you have completed at least 1 year of your suspension / revocation, then you may apply for a restricted license. This would require you to install an IID in your vehicle and you would be limited to driving that vehicle. (You will also need SR22 insurance in order to qualify for a restricted license.)

If you are caught driving while under a DUI suspension or revocation, you will be required to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.

Click here for a list of approved California ignition interlock providers

For More Information:

For more information, call the California DMV at 1-800-777-0133 (TTY 1-800-368-4327).

Other California DUI Resources