Iowa SR22 Insurance

Find out what requirements you must meet if you need an SR22 for Iowa & Find the Lowest Price Policies
we can help you get your iowa sr22 insurance to start driving again after a dui

If your Iowa driver’s license has been suspended or revoked because of an OWI, you will need to buy SR22 insurance. SR22 insurance is “future proof of financial responsibility“. In other words, when you have SR22 insurance, the DOT knows that you will be financially responsible if you are ever involved in an accident. You will be required to carry SR22 insurance for 2 years, beginning with the first day of your suspension / revocation.

When you buy SR22 insurance, your insurance company will provide an SR22 form, which needs to be filed with the DOT. This SR22 form is sometimes called a “Certificate of Automobile Liability Insurance”. (In lieu of filing an SR22, you can file a surety bond, cash, or securities, equal to $55,000.)

How to Get Iowa SR22 Insurance

Trying to find SR22 insurance on your own can be a daunting task. Let us help you. Your SR22 form must be filed by an Iowa-authorized insurance company. We have partnered with the best of these to bring you the most reasonable SR22 rates possible.

Iowa Temporary Restricted License

A Temporary Restricted License (also called TRL or work permit) allows you to drive to and from work, health care appointments, childcare, education, substance abuse treatment, court-ordered community service, and/or probation / parole officer appointments.

If this is your first offense OWI, and you have had no other OWI-related offenses in 12 years, you may apply for a TRL. If this was your first offense, and your BAC was 0.10 or higher or your OWI involved an accident, you will need to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in your vehicle(s) in order to be eligible for a TRL. If your BAC was higher than 0.15 or your OWI involved an accident, you will need to wait 30 days before applying for a TRL.

If this is your second or subsequent OWI, you will need to install an IID in order to be eligible for a TRL.

To apply for a TRL, first, fill out and send in the TRL application. You may be required to provide extra documentation with your application (e.g., a statement from a Probation Officer, a statement from a childcare provider). You will also need to buy SR22 insurance. Once your application is approved, you will be instructed to go to a driver license station, where you will need to take a vision screen, knowledge exam, and road test. You will then need to pay a $20 reinstatement fee, as well as a TRL fee.

How to Reinstate Your Iowa’s Driver’s License after an OWI

  • Pay a $200 civil penalty.
  • Complete a course for drinking drivers.
  • Complete a substance abuse evaluation and treatment or rehab services.
  • Buy SR22 insurance.
  • If this is your second or subsequent offense, you will need to install an IID in your vehicle(s) prior to reinstatement. You will need to maintain these IIDs for 1 year. 
  • Note: Reinstated licenses can only be used to drive vehicles that are covered by your SR22 policy.

For More Information:

Still have questions? Ask your insurance agent, or call the Iowa Office of Driver Services at 1-800-532-1121. You can also email Driver Services using their online contact form.

Additional Iowa OWI Resources
  • Iowa DUI First Offense – Detailed first offense information including punishments after a first offense DUI in Iowa.
  • Iowa DUI Classes – Get signed up for your dui class now.
  • Iowa SR22 Insurance – Learn everything you need to know about Iowa SR22 filing requirements with the DMV and find out how you can save hundreds of dollars each year on your Iowa SR22 insurance.
  • Iowa DUI Lawyers – Contact one of our Iowa DUI lawyers today to discuss your pending DUI case.
  • Iowa Bail Bond Agents – Contact an Iowa bail bond agent to get out of jail now.
  • Iowa Non-owner Insurance – If you need an SR-22 filing, but don’t own a vehicle, you need to get a non-owner policy.