Nebraska First Offense DUI
Nebraska First Offense DUI Laws Explained in Easy to Understand Simple Terms
Nebraska Administrative License Revocation / Ignition Interlock:
Nebraska’s Administrative License Revocation (ALR) is handled by the Department of Motor Vehicles. ALR states that the police can automatically and immediately revoke your driver’s license if you are arrested for DUI (Driving Under the Influence). They will give you a temporary license, which is only good for 30 days.
You have the right to request a hearing to contest the revocation. You must mail your petition within 10 days of when the Notice of Revocation was served to you. If the results of the hearing are not in your favor, your driver’s license will be suspended for 90 days for a first offense
As of January 1, 2012:
A new ignition interlock system will replace the state’s Administrative License Revocation procedures. When a person is arrested for a first offense DUI, his or her driver’s license will still be immediately revoked. However, as a condition of bail, he or she will have to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in his or her vehicle.
Nebraska First Offense DUI Penalties
Criminal Penalties imposed by the court are separate from those imposed by the DMV.
First time DUI offenders face 7 to 60 days in jail and a $400 to $500 fine. As a first time offender, you may be placed on probation, which means you would need to perform at least 120 hours of community service and pay a $500 fine. If your BAC was 0.15 or higher, you may face stricter penalties.
The DMV will suspend your driver’s license for up to 6 months. Before they will reinstate your driver’s license or issue you a temporary permit you will be required to show them proof of an SR22 insurance filing.
Nebraska SR22 Insurance
If your Nebraska driver’s license is revoked, you will need to file carry SR22 insurance for 3 years from the date that you are eligible for license reinstatement. SR22 insurance can be expensive, so you will want to compare competitive rates.
Additional Nebraska DUI Resources
- Nebraska DUI First Offense – Detailed first offense information including punishments after a first offense DUI in Nebraska.
- Nebraska DUI Classes – Get signed up to complete your required DUI class online today.
- Nebraska SR22 Insurance – Learn everything you need to know about Nebraska SR22 filing requirements with the DMV and find out how you can save hundreds of dollars each year on your Nebraska SR22 insurance.
- Nebraska DUI Lawyers – Contact one of our Nebraska DUI lawyers today to discuss your pending DUI case.
- Nebraska Bail Bond Agents – Contact an Nebraska bail bond agent to get out of jail now.
- Nebraska Non-owner Insurance – If you need an SR-22 filing, but don’t own a vehicle, you need to get a non-owner policy.