Nebraska SR22 Insurance
Find out what requirements you must meet if you need an SR22 for Nebraska & Find the Lowest Price Policies
If your Nebraska driver’s license has been suspended or revoked, you will need to prove to the State of Nebraska that you are insured. This proof must be in the form of an SR22 form.
When you purchase an SR22 insurance policy, your insurance company will provide you with this form. This form must then be hand delivered, snail mailed, or electronically submitted by your insurance company or yourself to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The DMV will not accept faxed SR22 forms. If you do not live in Nebraska, but are required to file an SR22 in Nebraska, your SR22 form must be submitted directly from the home office of your insurance company.
The SR22 form that you submit must be an original. The DMV will not accept photo copies.
Your SR22 policy must cover all the vehicles that you own. If you do not own a vehicle, you will need to purchase a non-owner or operator SR22 policy.
A Nebraska DUI SR22 requirement lasts for 3 years from the date that you are eligible for driverâ€™s license reinstatement. This requirement stands even if you move to another state.
How to Get Your Nebraska Driver’s License Back after a DUI
To get your Nebraska driver’s license back after a DUI, you need to:
Nebraska Ignition Interlock Law
As of January 1, 2012, Nebraska allows DUI offenders to waive their right to an Administrative hearing and apply for an Ignition Interlock Permit (IIP) instead. (You will still need SR22 insurance before you can apply for an IIP.)
If this is your first DUI offense in Nebraska, you can apply for an IIP immediately, and will be restricted to interlock driving for 6 months.
If this is a subsequent offense, you can apply for an IIP after 45 days of suspension, and will be restricted to interlock driving for 1 year.
If you refused to submit to a blood alcohol test, you can apply for an IIP after 90 days of suspension, and will be restricted to interlock driving for 1 year.
For More Information:
Still have questions? Call the Financial Responsibility Division directly at 402-471-3985. You can also use the DMV’s online email form.
Additional Nebraska DUI Resources
- Nebraska DUI First Offense – Detailed first offense information including punishments after a first offense DUI in Nebraska.
- Nebraska DUI Classes – Get signed up for your DUI class now.
- Nebraska SR22 Insurance – Learn everything you need to know about Nebraska SR22 filing requirements with the DMV and find out how you can save hundreds of dollars each year on your Nebraska SR22 insurance.
- Nebraska DUI Laws & Lawyers – Contact one of our Nebraska DUI lawyers today to discuss your pending DUI case. Also review the current state DUI laws.
- Nebraska Bail Bond Agents – Contact an Nebraska bail bond agent to get out of jail now.
- Nebraska Non-owner Insurance – If you need an SR-22 filing, but don’t own a vehicle, you need to get a non-owner policy.