North Carolina SR22 Insurance

Find out what requirements you must meet if you need an SR22 for New Carolina & Find the Lowest Price Policies
we can help you get your north carolina sr22 insurance to start driving again after a dui

SR22 insurance is a liability insurance that some states require of convicted drunk drivers. North Carolina is not one of these states.

There is no SR22 requirement in North Carolina.

However, if you get a DWI in North Carolina and you then move to another state, your new state may require you to buy SR22 insurance based on your North Carolina driving record. Similarly, if you get a DWI / DUI in another state, and you then move to North Carolina, you will likely still need to carry SR22 insurance in the state where the DWI / DUI happened.

How to Get Your North Carolina Driver’s License Back

In order to get your driver’s license restored after a DWI suspension, you may need to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in your vehicle(s). You will also need to pay a $100 restoration fee. (Note that DMV offices only accept cash, money orders, or personal checks, not debit or credit cards.)

North Carolina Ignition Interlock Law

If this is your first DWI offense and your blood alcohol content was greater than 0.16, or if this is your second or subsequent offense within 7 years, you will be required to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in your vehicle(s).

The length of the IID requirement varies:

  • First Offense – 1 year
  • Second Offense – 3 years
  • Third Offense – 7 years

There are two ignition interlock providers in North Carolina:

  • Monitech, Inc. 1-800-521-4246
  • Smart Start, Inc. 1-800-880-3394

For More Information:

Still have questions? Call the North Carolina DMV directly at 919-715-7000.

Additional North Carolina DWI Resources