Maine SR22 Insurance
Find out what requirements you must meet if you need an SR22 for Maine & Find the Lowest Price Policies
If you have been convicted of a second (or subsequent) OUI in the State of Maine, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles will require you to file an SR22 form, which serves as proof of future financial responsibility. The SR22 proves to the State that you have liability insurance and that you will be financially responsible in the event of a future accident. When you buy SR22 insurance, your insurance company will provide the SR22 form.
There is no SR22 requirement for a first offense OUI in Maine.
How to Get Your Maine Driver’s License Back
If this is only your first offense OUI, you only need to pay a reinstatement fee to get your driver’s license back at the end of your suspension. You can pay this at any branch office or over the phone, but not at mobile locations.
If this is your second or subsequent OUI offense, you will also need to buy SR22 insurance as a condition of reinstatement. You may also need to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in your vehicle(s).
Maine Ignition Interlock Law
If this is your second offense, you may reinstate your driver’s license after serving 9 months of your suspension, if you install and maintain an approved ignition interlock device for 2 years. Your driving privilege may be restricted to driving to and from work, school, or alcohol treatment.
If this is your third offense, you may reinstate your driver’s license after serving 3 years of your suspension, if you install and maintain an approved ignition interlock device for 3 years.
If this is your fourth or subsequent offense, you will be required to install an ignition interlock device in your vehicle(s) as a condition of reinstatement.
To participate in the ignition interlock program, you must file a petition with the Secretary of State and receive written approval before you can have the IID installed.
For More Information:
Still have questions? Call the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Driver License Services Division at 207-624-9000. You can also email email@example.com.
Additional Maine DUI Resources
- Maine DUI First Offense – Detailed first offense information including punishments after a first offense DUI in Maine.
- Maine DUI Classes – Get signed up for your dui class now.
- Maine SR22 Insurance – Learn everything you need to know about Maine SR22 filing requirements with the DMV and find out how you can save hundreds of dollars each year on your Maine SR22 insurance.
- Maine DUI Lawyers – Contact one of our Maine DUI lawyers today to discuss your pending DUI case.
- Maine Bail Bond Agents – Contact an Maine bail bond agent to get out of jail now.
- Maine Non-owner Insurance – If you need an SR-22 filing, but don’t own a vehicle, you need to get a non-owner policy.