Nebraska SR22 Insurance & Filing Information

DUI laws and penalties, fines, license suspension, sr22 filing

If your Nebraska driver's license has been suspended or revoked, you will need to prove to the State of Nebraska that you are insured. This proof must be in the form of an SR22 form. (Click here to see a sample SR22 form.)

When you purchase an SR22 insurance policy, your insurance company will provide you with this form. This form must then be hand delivered, snail mailed, or electronically submitted by your insurance company or yourself to the Department of Motor Vehicles. The DMV will not accept faxed SR22 forms. If you do not live in Nebraska, but are required to file an SR22 in Nebraska, your SR22 form must be submitted directly from the home office of your insurance company.

The SR22 form that you submit must be an original. The DMV will not accept photo copies.

Your SR22 policy must cover all the vehicles that you own. If you do not own a vehicle, you will need to purchase a non-owner or operator SR22 policy.

A Nebraska DUI SR22 requirement lasts for 3 years from the date that you are eligible for driver’s license reinstatement. This requirement stands even if you move to another state.

How to Get Nebraska SR22 Insurance

Finding auto insurance coverage along with an insurance company that can provide you with an SR-22 filing in Alabama can be tough, not to mention costly if you choose the wrong provider. We can help you make this process a lot easier. We have partnered with the nation’s leading high-risk insurance and SR-22 filing provider to offer our visitors a special discount rate on their SR22 insurance and filings. To find out just how much Clicksurance can save you just enter your zip code below and complete the form on the following page:

How to Get Your Nebraska Driver's License Back

To get your Nebraska driver's license back after a DUI, you need to:

  • Surrender your operator's license / permit or sign an affidavit of lost license.
  • Buy SR22 insurance and file an SR22 form.
  • Pay a $125 reinstatement fee. (You can do this online.)
  • Possibly test for and apply for a new driver's license.

Nebraska Ignition Interlock Law

As of January 1, 2012, Nebraska allows DUI offenders to waive their right to an Administrative hearing and apply for an Ignition Interlock Permit (IIP) instead. (You will still need SR22 insurance before you can apply for an IIP.)

If this is your first offense, you can apply for an IIP immediately, and will be restricted to interlock driving for 6 months.

If this is a subsequent offense, you can apply for an IIP after 45 days of suspension, and will be restricted to interlock driving for 1 year.

If you refused to submit to a blood alcohol test, you can apply for an IIP after 90 days of suspension, and will be restricted to interlock driving for 1 year.

For More Information:

Still have questions? Call the Financial Responsibility Division directly at 402-471-3985. You can also use the DMV's online email form.

Additional Nebraska DUI Resources